|By Lori MacVittie||
|February 18, 2014 07:00 AM EST||
#sdas #sddc #sdn #devops #mobile F5 Synthesis 1.5 brings more performance, greater application fluency and increased flexibility for both application and mobile network providers.
Are you ready for millions of mobile visitors? With 20% of web traffic in the US and Canada coming from smartphones and tablets (Chitika) it's time to turn some cycles toward this growing segment and focus on more than just the BYOD.
Mobile visitors are just as easily frustrated by poorly performing applications as their traditional laptop and desktop visiting counterparts (and, in fact, they probably are the same consumers transitioning to more modern devices). The growth in device propagation also means its a growth market for attackers. And even if malware and viruses aren't running rampant on mobile device platforms that doesn't mean that applications and services can't leak data to mobile devices or that they can't participate in DDoS attacks. And phishing attacks work just as well in browsers on mobile devices as they do in browsers on the desktop.
Interestingly enough, while mobile platforms introduce some new challenges to ensuring security and performance of applications and data, many of the challenges and threats remain the same because they're really about data and applications and networks, not the end user device.
Addressing these challenges is made more difficult by the limited domains over which application providers have control. Consider that of the four most likely culprits of poor performance and security breaches, only one and a half are under the complete control of the application provider.
If we add cloud into the mix, the areas of control become even smaller. Generally speaking, applications deployed in cloud environments are not deployed along with the critical application services they need to ensure expectations of performance and security by end users and the business alike.
Increasingly, consumers often blame mobile network operators for poor performance, so it's important to note that they only have one of the four domains under their control: the mobile network. While they can and do offer services to improve the performance and security of applications traversing their networks, these services are not often capitalized upon by end-users or application providers.
F5 Synthesis enables cloud and application providers as well as mobile network operators the architectural framework necessary to ensure the performance, reliability and security of applications. The latest release of Synthesis, v1.5 with a focus on the enterprise, adds performance and security-related capabilities and services along with greater flexibility in management and orchestration to ensure that no matter what domains are under your control, you can deploy the application services appropriate to your applications.
This release is about fast, fluent and flexible Software Defined Application Services.
- We've added a variety of TCP optimizations that improve performance for all applications that have an even greater impact on mobile application delivery. WebP conversion reduces the size of images, a per-application dedicated cache that uses HTML5 Local Storage capabilities and support for MPTCP ensure both application providers and mobile network operators can take advantage of Synthesis' performance services.
- More SSD-enabled appliances means the F5 Synthesis High Performance Service Fabric gains greater multi-tenancy and improves the performance of application services, which in turn benefits application performance,
- Simplified DNS deployment and optimized DNS resolution ensure DNS is never a bottleneck. F5 Synthesis' High Performance Service Fabric can support up to 418M DNS resolutions per second. That means it can resolve addresses for the equivalent of every site on the Internet in 2 seconds.
- As important as content level visibility is application fluency: the ability to not only inspect, but understand the unique languages of applications. F5 Synthesis now speaks more languages than ever, including TDS/MS SQL, FIX, and BER/DER.
- We've added support for AES-GCM and ECC ciphers for TLS version 1.2 as well as supporting the ciphers needed for Perfect Forward Secrecy.
- Our new Secure Web Gateway service speaks the language of the web, filtering URLs and inspecting web content for malware, and can do so even when it's hidden within SSL connections.
- New cloud connector capabilities enable services across data centers and clouds supported by VMware, AWS, and OpenStack technologies, ensuring the migration to cloud doesn't result in the loss of critical application services needed for security and performance.
- Synthesis v1.5 makes available BIG-IQ Device, part of Synthesis' Intelligent Service Orchestration, that enables automated discovery, licensing, inventory and UCS backup and restore capabilities for the Synthesis High Performance Services Fabric.
- Also announced is the availability of iControl REST, our control plane API in a modern, accessible model. iControl REST enables organizations and mobile network operators to integrate, automate, orchestrate and dynamically manage Synthesis High Performance Service Fabric from virtually any HTTP-capable scripting or programming language.
- We've taken Synthesis' Simplified Business Models and expanded them to include new streamlined license management for virtual editions of our platforms. License pools enable VE provisioning and decommissioning on-demand to enable broader use of services for burst capacity, testing, proof of concepts, or new development.
Synthesis v1.5 has a plethora of new capabilities, services and enhancements that enable application providers and mobile network operators to take advantage of the economy of scale afforded by the combination of a High Performance Service Fabric and Intelligent Service Orchestration to ensure that no matter which parts of the data path between users and applications are under control, they can be optimized and secured.
 Based on number of sites collected by Netcraft Web Server Survey, Jan 2014
Jul. 26, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,014
Jul. 26, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 278
Jul. 26, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,927
Jul. 26, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,114
Jul. 26, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,822
Jul. 26, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,081
Jul. 26, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,012
Jul. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,029
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Jul. 26, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,716
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Jul. 26, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 358
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Jul. 26, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 925
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) and Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO) have entered into a definitive agreement under which Verizon will acquire Yahoo's operating business for approximately $4.83 billion in cash, subject to customary closing adjustments. Yahoo informs, connects and entertains a global audience of more than 1 billion monthly active users** -- including 600 million monthly active mobile users*** through its search, communications and digital content products. Yahoo also co...
Jul. 26, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 528
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jul. 26, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,996
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 26, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,191
Is your aging software platform suffering from technical debt while the market changes and demands new solutions at a faster clip? It’s a bold move, but you might consider walking away from your core platform and starting fresh. ReadyTalk did exactly that. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and over a decade of audio conferencing product development to start an innovati...
Jul. 26, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,020
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 26, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,325
It’s 2016: buildings are smart, connected and the IoT is fundamentally altering how control and operating systems work and speak to each other. Platforms across the enterprise are networked via inexpensive sensors to collect massive amounts of data for analytics, information management, and insights that can be used to continuously improve operations. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Chemel, Co-Founder and CTO of Digital Lumens, will explore: The benefits sensor-networked systems bring to ...
Jul. 26, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,555
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 26, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 634
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jul. 26, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,439
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jul. 26, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,130